10 February 2015

Book Review: The Duff

                




Title: The Duff (Designated Ugly Fat Friend)
Author: Kody Keplinger
Genre: YA fiction 
Published: 2010
Rating: 
Brief Overview: Bianca's whole life is turned upside down when Wesley, the guy she hates, informs her that she is the duff of her group of friends (a.k.a designated ugly fat friend). In a moment of weakness she kisses Wesley and that spirals into an enemies with benefits relationship. In the midst of all this, Biancas ex-boyfriend returns to town, her parents get divorced and her crush, Toby breaks up with his girlfriend. 

Main Character: I loved Bianca as the main character she was funny and cynical and I related to her. She notices what is going on around her and has neuroses and bad habits for coping. She is smart and witty but still makes bad choices. She is self sufficient but also a little vulnerable. She seemed like a person I would want to be friends with.

Impressions: I had heard good things about this book, and had already watched the trailer for the movie (In theaters February 20th), but the title initially struck me as offensive. I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't need to be offended and that the term duff was handled gracefully. In the movie trailer, it seems that Bianca tries to un-duff herself, but in the book there is no makeover or un-duffing, instead Bianca stays true to her duffy self and I think that is awesome. Furthermore, the book makes it clear that everybody is somebody's duff. I loved this book. It was a short and easy read and I actually read it in one sitting. One thing I always note when reading young adult fiction is whether an author represents teen characters well. Kody Klepinger was a teenager herself when she wrote this book, and it really shows. The characters are smart and funny and talk like real people and that really makes it a more readable book. 

Movie Trailer: 

What to read next: 
Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
Crash by Nicole Williams

4 comments:

  1. I'm curious about this because of the movie coming out. The thing is -- Mae Whitman, the girl playing the "duff," is neither fat nor ugly. Is that part of the point? If the movie is handled with assuming she's fat and ugly and lives up to the "duff" title, then I'm afraid the message it sends out won't be a positive one.

    Granted, I've only seen the movie trailer so I can't really speak for neither the book nor the movie at this point. Good to know that you liked it. Makes me more likely to give it a chance!

    ReplyDelete

  2. I think the point the book tried to make was that everybody is someones duff because there is always someone more attractive. A person doesnt actually have to be fat or ugly to be the duff. Also in a group more than one person might think they are the duff, because its just based on opinion. In the movie trailer it looks like there is a makeover scene and if thats the case I think they are handling it wrong and sending the message that you need to change yourself for a guy. Im curious to see the differences between movie and book.Thanks for your comment! <3 Bee

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen the movie trailer, but had no idea it was a book. I don't know how I missed that?!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a DNF for me a long time ago (maybe when it first came out) but I've been thinking about giving it another look now that the movie is coming out. Or maybe I'll just see the movie since it seems like it's different and I already gave the book its shot.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...