26 March 2015

Book Review: To All the Boys I've Loved Before


Title: To All The Boys I've Loved Before
Author: Jenny Han
Genre: YA Contemporary
Published: 2014
Rating: 


Brief Overview: Lara Jean writes letters to all the boys she's loved and keeps them in a box in her room never to be shown to anyone...until, somehow, all the letters get sent. One boy's letter is returned to sender, one of the boys is gay, one used to be her friend, and one is her sister's (recent) ex-boyfriend. While all this is going on, Lara Jean's older sister leaves for college and Lara Jean ends up in a (fake) relationship with one of the boys from her letters.

Main Character: Lara Jean is a bit innocent for her age and she tries hard to be good. Her family is important to her and in the book she has to grow up a little when her older sister Margot goes to college and she becomes the oldest sister at home. She is fashionable and smart and although she is a bit naive and unsure of herself, you can tell she is tough on the inside.

Impressions: What I liked most about this book is Jenny Han's writing style. She does realism so well. She describes details down to the food they eat so clearly and yet somehow it never feels overly descriptive or wordy. This book is so sweet and captures an awkward time in Lara Jean's teenage life in such an honest way. I liked that while this book was about high school and boys, a huge element of it was about family and what it means to be sisters.

If you liked To All The Boys I've Loved Before, you might like: 
The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith or The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han


3 comments:

  1. I loved this book! I completely agree when you said that Jenny Han does relism well. I don't get bored of her descriptions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book!! Jenny Han's writing is just SO addicting and special. I can't wait until PS I Still Love You is out!!! I thought Lara Jean was a little too naive for my 100% liking, but I'm hoping in the next book she'll gain some maturity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really need to check out this book, so many people say it's brilliant!
    Great review :)
    I just followed you via GFC, would love a follow back!
    Cody @ Literary-ly Obsessed

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...