31 January 2015

Gone Girl

Author: Gillian Flynn
Genre: Fiction
Published: 2012
Rating: 




“Men always say that as the defining compliment, don’t they? She’s a cool girl. Being the Cool Girl means I am a hot, brilliant, funny woman who adores football, poker, dirty jokes, and burping, who plays video games, drinks cheap beer, loves threesomes and anal sex, and jams hot dogs and hamburgers into her mouth like she’s hosting the world’s biggest culinary gang bang while somehow maintaining a size 2, because Cool Girls are above all hot. Hot and understanding. Cool Girls never get angry; they only smile in a chagrined, loving manner and let their men do whatever they want. Go ahead, shit on me, I don’t mind, I’m the Cool Girl.” - Gillian Flynn (Gone Girl)
Brief overview : Amy and Nick are introduced to us as an average couple, well off, but have fallen on hard times and moved to Missouri from New York. As the title of the book suggests - you guessed it - Amy goes missing. Suspicion of her murder falls on Nick, who comes to believe that Amy is in fact alive.
Impressions: I confess I saw the movie first (gasp!) so I already knew what was going to happen, but to be honest in both book and movie I found the twists and turns somewhat predictable, although the ending was not quite what I expected. The ending however felt somewhat unsatisfying to me. I found both book and movie to drag a little. I also had several false starts reading this book as I found the writing overly descriptive in a way that teetered dangerously close to boring. Of course once I got past the initial few chapters and was immersed in the story, the meandering writing bothered me less. The other problem I had was that neither main character is likable. While flaws are certainly important in character development, I found I was neither rooting for or relating to anyone in the book. This stopped me from really connecting with the story in a meaningful way.
What to read next: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Stieg Larrson), Dark Places (Gillian Flynn)
or Watch the Movie: 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...