24 March 2015

Book Review: The Geography of You and Me

Title: The Geography of You and Me 
Author: Jennifer E. Smith
Genre: YA Contemporary Fiction
Published: 2014
Rating: 




Brief Overview: Lucy and Owen meet when they get trapped together in an elevator in their Manhattan apartment building. Soon afterward, Lucy moves to Europe with her family, and Owen and his dad begin a journey west to find a place to live following the death of Owens mom. Lucy and Owen remain in contact through post cards.

Themes: Friendship, Love, Travel

Impressions: This book made me super happy at the beginning. I love New York and I liked the characters. I really liked how they met and the early parts of the book. A quarter of the way through reading it, I was ready to give the book a 5/5 rating. Then, after Lucy moves to Edinburgh, I kind of felt the book fizzle a bit. It was still good (I can't complain too much since I read the whole thing in one sitting) but it just didn't have the same momentum that the beginning had. I also found the ending a little unsatisfying. I was surprised at the (unrealistic?) amount of freedom the characters had since they are only teenagers, but that's typical in YA. I did love the concept of the book and I loved all the traveling. I also liked that while the characters were apart, each of their lives went on. They missed each other but didn't spend all their time pining over each other. By the end of the book I was debating between a 3/5 or 4/5 rating and decided on the latter because it was a cute story, it was imaginative and different and it felt like a nice little adventure to read.

If you liked The Geography of You and Me, you might like: 
This is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E. Smith or Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

P.S. Looking for some reading inspiration? Bee Reads Books!

7 comments:

  1. I've been putting off reading this because I heard that the characters start liking each other rather quickly, and both insta-attraction and I don't mix very well lol. If I'm looking for something light and fluffy, then I'll consider picking this up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very cute,but definitely on the light and fluffy side :)

      Delete
  2. I didn't li,e this book as much as I thought I would because I found it to be unrealistic. I think that it was very cute and the beginning but I just didn't feel interested.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love light and fluffy books, can't wait to get hold of a copy of this! Enjoyed reading your review.

    Kristin @ Simply Bookish Things
    http://simplybookishthings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought this was pretty cute, but I didn't like it as much as This is What Happy Looks Like and The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight. I agree that once they move in opposite directions the story starts to fizzle out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen this around and I love the cover! I'm not a huge YA contemporary reader anymore but this one sounds like the perfect lighthearted read! It was clearly not perfect but I can understand whu you gave it 4 instead of 3 since overall, it looks like a pretty cute story that will make you smile. Awesome review! :)

    Amir @ Not So Literary!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been looking for something cute and fluffy to read recently. It sounds like the usual YA story were parts are just a little unrealistic but you can't help but love. I loved your review it short and to the point. :)

    Oh, I nominated you for the beautiful blogger award :)

    http://dearbookgeeks.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/beautiful-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...